St Agnes is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall, created in 1846 from chapelry in Perranzabuloe Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Blackwater, Goonbell, Goodnown, Cross Combe, Croscombe, Goonown, Trevellas Downs, Trevellas, Skinners Bottom, Porthtowan, and Mingoose.
Alternative names: St Agnes near Truro
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1596
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AGNES (St.), a town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Truro, Cornwall. The town is a seaport, on a small bay of Bristol Channel; 4 miles N of Chacewater r. station, and 9 NW by W of Truro. It has a post office under Scorrier; and is the centre of a rich mining district. A weekly market is held on Thursday; and an annual fair on 1 May. The harbour is small and can be entered only near high water, and only by vessels of not more than 100 tons’ burden. Coal, lime, and slate are imported. Most of the inhabitants are connected with neighbouring mines. The parish comprises 8,294 acres of land, and 60 of water. Real property, £10,324, of which £2,514 are in mines. Pop., 6,550. Houses, 1,395. The property is much subdivided. Granite is the prevailing rock; and copper, tin, and iron are worked. The scenery of coast and surface is picturesque. St. Agnes’ Beacon, 621 feet high, immediately NW of the town, shows remarkable deposits of sand and clays at heights of from 300 to 400 feet; and was a beacon station during the French war, and a chief station of the Trigonometrical survey. Harmony Cot, 2 miles from the town, on the road to Perran Porth, was the birthplace of the painter Opie. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £280. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church was built in 1482, has been restored, and shows interesting features. Chapels for Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, are in the parish. Ruins of ancient chapels are at Mawla and St. Agnes’ Well. The subdistrict comprises two parishes. Acres, 19,694. Pop., 9,509. Houses, 1,998.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Agnes (St), a parochial chapelry and market-town, situated on the Bristol channel, in the hund. of Pyder, union of Truro, western division of the county of Cornwall; 9 miles north-west of Truro. Living, a curacy subordinate to the vicarage of Perran in Sabulo, in the archd. of Cornwall and dio. of Exeter; rated at £33. Patron, the dean and chapter of Exeter. Church dedicated to St Agnes, and built about 1482. There is a free school here; also a British school with 500 scholars, and places of worship for the Congregationalists, and Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. The town is within the jurisdiction of the county-magistrates; and courts for the duchy are annually held here. The market-day is Thursday; a fair is annually held on the 30th of April. The harbour can only be entered at high water, but is capable of receiving a few vessels of 100 tons burthen. A considerable trade in coal, lime, and slate, is conducted with Ireland and Wales. The inhabitants are chiefly miners, the town being situated in a rich mining district for tin and copper. In the Wheal-Fowan, the principal copper-mine, above 800 men are employed. Opie, the celebrated painter, was born at St Agnes in 1701. Pop., in 1801, 4,061; in 1831, 6,642. Houses 1,091. The increase in the population of this parish is attributed to the number and magnitude of the mines now worked here: 944 labourers, 20 years old, are returned as emploved in the mines. Acres 8,660. A. P. £9,929. Poor rates, in 1837, £1,210. St Agnes' beacon, in this neighbourhood, rises to the height of 664, or according to the Trigonometrical survey, 621 feet above the level of the sea. — St. Agnes' well is situated near the site of an ancient chapel in a small vale, called Chapel-Comb. This parish also contains a vast entrenchment constructed with great skill and labour. It seems to be of British origin, and was probably intended as a defence of St Agnes' beacon and the mines of the neighbourhood.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – None, Post-1847 – Pydar
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Pyder
- Province: Canterbury