South Petherwin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Trewen is a chapelry of South Petherwin.
- South Petherwin
- South Petherwin with Trewen
- South Petherwyn
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1656
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PETHERWIN (South), a parish, with a village, in Launceston district, Cornwall; 2½ miles SW of Launceston r. station. The parish comprises 5,064 acres. Post-town, Launceston. Real property, £5,743. Pop. in 1851, 974; in 1861, 876. Houses, 178. The property is much subdivided. Trebursey belonged formerly to the Gedyes, the Eliots, and the Howells; and belongs now to Gurney, Esq. Tresmarrow belonged to the Vyvyans, and is now a farm-house. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Trewen, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £349. Patron, the University of Oxford. The church stands on a hill, is good, and contains some old monuments. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Launceston
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – None, Post-1847 – Trigg Major
- Poor Law Union: Launceston
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury