Sithney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Prospidnick, Tregathenan, and Gwavas.
Alternative names: St Sithney
Parish church: St. Sithney
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1664
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SITHNEY, a village and a parish in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles WNW of Helston, and 7½ S of Camborne r. station. The parish includes Porthleven chapelry, and is all within Helston borough. Post town, Helston, Cornwall. Acres, 5,898; of which 65 are foreshore. Pop. in 1851, 2,773; in 1861, 3,306. Houses, 657. Penrose, Antron, and Trevarno are chief residences. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers stood near Helston. Tin and copper ores are worked; and lead ore was formerly mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £435. Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is ancient but good. The p. curacy of Porthleven is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £8.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SITHNEY (St. Sithney), a parish, in the union of Helston, hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 2 miles (N. W.) from Helston; containing 3362 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the south-west by Mount's bay, includes the chief part of Porthleven fishing-cove, and nearly the whole of Loe pool. It comprises 5447 acres, of which 311 are common or waste; the substratum abounds in minerals, and there are mines of lead, copper, and tin, of which the two last are at present in operation. Porthleven harbour is capable of floating vessels of 200 tons; coal and timber are the chief imports. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £19. 11. 5½., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter: the impropriator's tithes have been commuted for £522, and those of the vicar for £430; the former has 104, and the latter 19, acres of glebe. The church is an ancient structure, and contains some fine remains of stained glass. A district chapel was consecrated at Porthleven on the 24th of August, 1841, and dedicated to St. Bartholomew; it is a handsome structure in the Norman style, and contains 300 sittings: the living is in the gift of the Vicar, with an income of £120. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. At Truthal are the remains of an ancient chapel; and the parish also contained an hospital dedicated to St. John, of which no vestiges exist. On Longston Downs is a rude pile of stones, one of which was formerly a logan rock, called Mên-Amber; it is 11 feet long, 6 wide, and 4 thick. Several stone battle-axes were found at Venton Vedna, in 1799.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Helston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Kerrier
- Poor Law Union: Helston
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury