Sheviock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Crafthole.
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1569
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SHEVIOCK, a parish, with S. village and Crafthole hamlet, in St. Germans district, Cornwall; on the coast, 2 miles SE of St. Germans r. station. It has a post-office under Devonport. Acres, 2,282; of which 345 are water. Real property, £3,109. Pop. in 1851, 573; in 1861, 671. Houses, 122. The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of 1abourers in the erection of forts. The property is divided among a few. Trethill was the seat of the navigator Wallis. A pier is at Wrinkle cove; and pilchard fishing is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £350. Patron, W. H. Pole Carew, Esq. The chancel of the church was restored and embellished in 1851, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a Church school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SHEVIOCK (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (S. by E.) from St. Germans; containing 567 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the north by the river Lynher, and on the south by the English Channel, comprises 2122 acres, whereof three-fourths are arable, and the remainder woodland, with a small portion of pasture. The surface is varied, and intersected by numerous rivulets; the soil on the north side, near the river, is a stiffish yellow clay, and on the south side of much lighter quality. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £26. 14. 7., and in the gift of the Carew family: the tithes have been commuted for £335, and the glebe comprises 62 acres. The church contains a sumptuous monument to the memory of Sir Edward and Lady Courtenay, and several curious tombs of the family of Dawnay. At Wrinkle Cove is an ancient pier; and off the coast a considerable pilchard-fishery is carried on.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Germans
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: East
- Poor Law Union: St Germans
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury