Sancreed is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Brane More, Newbridge, and Brahane.
Alternative names: Sancreet
Parish church: St. Creed
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SANCREED, or Sancreet, a village and a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall. The village stands on high ground, under a wild upland called Sancreed Beacon, 4 miles S W by W of Penzance r. station. The parish contains also the village of Brahane; and its post town is Penzance. Acres, 4,471. Real property, £4,717. Pop.in 1851, 1,394; in 1861, 1,233. Houses, 237. The decrease of pop. was caused by suspension of the works of several tin mines. The property is much subdivided. Remains of an ancient castle, called Caerbran, are near Brahane; an ancient monument, consisting of two concentric walls, the outer one 55 feet in diameter, is at Bodinnar; and Druidical stones are at Drift. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £450. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is good, and contains several monuments. A very fine old cross is in the churchyard; two smaller crosses are at the gate and on the outside; and a well, formerly held in superstitious repute, is adjacent. Two ancient chapels were in different parts, and have left some traces. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
SANCREED (St. Creed), a parish, in the union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, 4 miles (W. by S.) from Penzance; containing 1248 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4600 acres, of which 1700 are common or waste. Granite of excellent quality is found, though not regularly quarried; there are some old tin-works on Beacon Hill, and a stream-work on Trevenyan Moor, which is nearly exhausted. The road from Penzance to the Land's End passes on the south, and that to St. Just on the north side of the parish. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The tithes have been commuted for £509. 10. 7., of which £344 are payable to the vicar; the glebe comprises 152 acres, of which 50 are arable and pasture, and the remainder common. Besides the church, were formerly three chapels, of which some remains still exist. The Baptists, Bryanites, and Wesleyans have places of worship; and a national school is supported by subscription. In the churchyard is a fine cross; at Drift are two rude upright stones, and there are some other antiquities in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Penzance
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Penzance
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury