Saltash is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall, created in 1815 from chapelry in St Stephens by Saltash Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1687
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
- St Stephens by Saltash
- St Budeaux, Devon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
SALTASH, a town, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in St. Germans district, Cornwall. The town stands on the estuary of the Tamar, at the W end of Albert bridge, and at the junction of the South Devon, the Cornwall, and the Saltash and Callington railways, 3 miles NW by N of Devonport; was anciently a place of much importance, but went into decline; owed part of its importance to its being one of the passes into Cornwall; was the seat of assizes for the county in the 14th century; was occupied alternately by the parliamentarians and the royalists in the civil wars of Charles II.; acquired a borough charter in the time of Henry III.; sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward VI. till 1832, when it was disfranchised; is governed, under a charter of George III., by a mayor, a recorder, and six aldermen; under-went revival at the railway epoch, in connexion with the building and the opening of Albert bridge; has, since that time, undergone much improvement and extension; consists partly of old streets, picturesquely grouped on the steep acclivities of a rocky eminence, partly of new streets, on a new site, at Port-View; carries on malting, fishing, and a coasting trade; and has a head post-office, designated Saltash, Cornwall, a r. station with telegraph, a hotel, an old town hall built on pillars, a mechanics’ institute with library, an ancient church with massive tower, a Baptist chapel in the early English style built in 1866, a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, charities £21, markets on Tuesdays and Saturdays, great markets on the Tuesdays before quarter days, and cattle fairs on2 Feb. and 25 July. The chapelry is regarded as conterminate with the town, and is in the parish of St. Stephen-by-Saltash. Real property, £3,759. Pop. in 1851, 1,621; in 1861, 1,900. Houses, 275. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £100. Patrons, the Executors of Sir R. S. Hawks. The sub-district contains all St. Stephen parish, and six other parishes. Acres, 24,464. Pop., 6,240. Houses, 1,189.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The London Gazette 1851
WHEREAS on the 17th day of April 1851 a Petition for adjudication of Bankruptcy was filed against James Hill of Saltash, in the county of Cornwall, Miller, Dealer, and Chapman, in Her Majesty's Court of Bankruptcy for the Exeter District, and he being adjudged bankrupt is hereby required to surrender himself to Montague Baker Bere Esq Her Majesty's Commissioner of the Exeter District Court of Bankruptcy, on the 22nd day of May next, and on the 19th day of June following, at eleven o clock in the forenoon precisely on each day, at the Court of Bankruptcy for the Exeter District at the Hall of Commerce in Woolster street, in the borough of Plymouth, in the county of Devon, and make a full discovery and disclosure of his estate and effects; when and where the creditors are to come prepared to prove their debts, and at the first sitting to choose assignees, and at the last sitting the said bankrupt is required to finish his examination. All persons indebted to the said bankrupt or that have any of his effects are not to pay or deliver the same but to Mr F Hernaman Queen street Exeter the Official Assignee whom the Commissioner has appointed, and give notice to Messrs Edmonds and Sons Solicitors Plymouth his Agent Mr John Stogdon, Solicitor, Gandy street Exeter.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Germans
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: East
- Poor Law Union: St Germans
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury