Roche is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1571
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ROCHE, a village and a parish in St. Austell district, Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles NNW of Hens-barrow Beacon, and 5 NNW of St. Austell r. station; was known, at Domesday, as Treroache; and has a post-office under St. Austell; and fairs on 24 May, 18 July, and 10 Oct. The parish comprises 6,440 acres. Real property, £5,143; of which £1,189 are in quarries, and £60 in mines. Pop., 1,882. Houses, 379. The property is divided among a few. The manor was anciently held by the De Rapes. Roche Rocks, ½ a mile S of the village, rise to an altitude of 680 feet above sea-level; consist of quartz and friable schorl; terminate in great masses, piled confusedly together; and enclose, on the summit, remains of an ancient hermitage chapel, in decorated English architecture. St. Roche’s well is in the vicinity of the Rocks; and is superstitiously visited, by some of the peasantry, as “a wishing well.” Hensbarrow Beacon is on the S boundary, and rises to an altitude of 1,034 feet. Stream tin and porcelain clay are worked; and the latter is sent, by way of Liverpool, to Staffordshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £413. Patrons, the Trustees of the late J. Thornton, Esq., and J. Rashleigh, Esq. The church was re-built in 1822. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Austell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: St Austell
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury