Rame is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Causand and Cawsand.
Alternative names: Penhendar
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1653
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1813
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
RAME, a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall; on the coast, 5 miles SW by S of Plymouth r. station. Post-town, Cawsand, under Devonport Acres, 1,231; of which 45 are water. Real property, £2,140. Pop., 792. Houses, 160. The property is divided among a few. Rame Head projects into the English channel from Maker heights; terminates a semicircular range of cliffs, coming eastward from Looe; is the nearest land to Eddystone lighthouse; commands a view of the Cornish coast, away to the Lizard; is crowned with the ruin of a chapel; and is the Kriou Metopon or Ram’s Head of Ptolemy. Penlee Point, 2 miles E by N of that headland, flanks the W end of the entrance of Plymouth sound, and is crowned by a beacon. There is a coast-guard station. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £214. Patron, the Earl of Mount-Edgecumbe. The church is good; and there are charities £12.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
RAME (St. German), a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Devonport; containing 800 inhabitants. It comprises 1247 acres, of which 272 are common or waste land. Here is a noted promontory on the shore of the English Channel, called Rame Head, the nearest point of land to the Eddystone lighthouse, and on which are slight remains of the ancient chapel of St. Michael. Cawsand bay is partly in the parish, and at the entrance of it, on Penlee point, is a beacon. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 7. 6.; net income, £206; patron, the Earl of Mount-Edgcumbe.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Germans
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: East
- Poor Law Union: St Germans
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury