Quethiock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Alternative names: Quethick, Quithick
Parish church: St. Hugh
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1574
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
QUETHIOCK, or Quithick, a parish in St. Germans district, Cornwall; on the rivers Lynher and Tidy, 2½ miles N E of Menheniot r. station, and 4 E of Liskeard. Post-town, Liskeard. Acres, 4,531. Real property, £5,155. Pop., 728. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to A. Coryton, Esq. Stone and slate are quarried, and manganese has been worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £326. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient but good; has a tower; and contains a curious brass of 1462, and other brasses. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £4. A cattle fair is held on 30 Jan.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
QUETHIOCK (St. Hugh), a parish, in the union of St. Germans, Middle division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 4 miles (E.) from Liskeard; containing 657 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 4220 acres, and is bounded by the river Lynher on the east, and by the Tidy or Tide on the west; the former is a considerable stream, and on each river are several very picturesque points. The soil towards the south is rich, gradually deteriorating as it approaches the northern boundary; it lies chiefly on a slate and a loamy formation, and in the valleys and near the rivers is alluvial. Some mines of manganese are occasionally worked; veins of copper have been found, and likewise indications of the existence of a sulphuret of lead and silver. There are also numerous quarries, producing a material applicable to building purposes and for pavements. A fair is held on the last Monday in January. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £15. 11. 0½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Exeter: the tithes have been commuted for £680, half payable to the vicar, and half to the incumbent of Haccombe, in Devon; there are 32 acres of vicarial glebe, and 8 belonging to the incumbent of Haccombe. The church was chiefly erected about the twelfth century, parts of it earlier; and contains some ancient bronze monumental tablets, one of which, finely engraved, bears the date 1371.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Civil Registration District: St Germans
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
Rural Deanery: East
Poor Law Union: St Germans
Hundred: East (Cornwall)