Poughill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Bush.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1537
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1619
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
Parishes adjacent to Poughill
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
POUGHILL, a parish in Stratton district, Cornwall; on the coast, 1¼ mile NW of Stratton, and 17 NNW of Launceston r. station. Post-town, Stratton, Cornwall. Acres, 1,947; of which 100 are water. Real property, £2,145. Pop., 363. Houses, 86. The property is much subdivided. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Pochehelle; belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne; was given to Cliff abbey in Somerset; and passed to the Stanburys and others. Flexbury and Bushill are chief residences. Stamford hill was the scene of a defeat of the parliamentarians in 1643. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £116. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and has a pin-nacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, an alms-house, and other charities £4.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Cornwall Register 1847
POUGHILL, (vulgo Pughill, anciently Pochehelle, Pegwille, Pugeham,) is bounded by the sea, Stratton, Launcells, and Kilkhampton. The manor, now a mere royalty, not long since sold by the late John Conyngham Saunders, Esq. the eminent oculist, was given to the abbey of Clyve, in Somersetshire, by Herbert de Burgh, Earl of Kent.
The church is not far from the rural watering-place of Bude. The Vicar, the Rev. John Davis, is resident in the adjoining parish of Kilkhampton, of which he is also Rector. The vicarage house is occupied by the Rev. Henry Mellon, the Curate.
|1667||Nov. 29||John Macham|
|1670||July 15||Francis Elston|
|1723||Mar. 9||Charles Orchard|
|1756||June 14||Digory Jose|
|1810||Sep. 4||John Davis|
In this parish was fought the well-known battle of Stratton, near the town of Stratton, on a hill called, from its having been the position of the Earl of Stamford, the Parliamentary General, Stamford Hill. In the year 1713 a monument was erected on this spot by George Lord Lansdowne, Sir Beville's grandson, with the following inscription :— “In this place the army of the rebels, under the command of the Earl of Stamford, received a signal overthrow by the valour of Sir Beville Granville and the Cornish army, on Tuesday, the 16th of May, 1643.” This monument has been taken down: the tablet, containing the inscription, is now fixed in the front of the Tree Inn, in the town of Stratton. See in Lysons' Cornwall, p. 269, an interesting extract of a letter, written from Port Eliot on the 13th of August, 1743, by the Rev. Walter Harte to Bishop Lyttleton, describing the site and circumstances of this battle. The parliamentary army numbered 4,000 men.
Source: The Cornwall Register. Wallis John; Bodmin; Printed by Liddell & Son 1847.
Civil Registration District: Stratton
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
Rural Deanery: Trigg Major
Poor Law Union: Stratton