Porthleven is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1840 from Sithney Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Sithney St Bartholomew
Parish church: St. Bartholomew
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1846
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PORTHLEVEN, a village and a chapelry in Sithney parish, Cornwall. The village stands on Mounts bay, 2½ miles W S W of Helston, and 8½ S by E of Gwinear-Road r. station; is a prosperous small sea-port; and has a post-office under Helston. A harbour was constructed here at great cost; but cannot be entered, without difficulty, in tempestuous weather. The chapelry was constituted in 1844. Pop., 1,259. Houses, 238. The shore is rugged, and shows some curious intersections of slate rocks by trap dikes. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £140. Patron, the Vicar of Sithney. The church was built in 1841.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
A district chapel was consecrated at Porthleven on the 24th of August, 1841, and dedicated to St. Bartholomew; it is a handsome structure in the Norman style, and contains 300 sittings: the living is in the gift of the Vicar, with an income of £120. Porthleven harbour is capable of floating vessels of 200 tons; coal and timber are the chief imports.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Helston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Kerrier
- Poor Law Union: Helston
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury