Perranzabuloe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Bollingey, Perranporth, Rose, and Bolingey.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1619
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PERRANZABULOE, a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; 1¾ mile from the coast, and 5½ NW of Truro r. station. It has a fair on 16 March; it contains the village of Perranporth, which has a post-office under Truro; it includes part of the chapelry of Mithian; it extends 3 miles along the coast; and it takes its name, signifying “St. Piran-in-the-Sands,” from devastating sand-drifts. Acres, 11,340; of which 385 are water. Real property, £7,992; of which £1,882 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,114; in 1861, 2,959. Houses, 603. The property is much subdivided. Lambourn belonged to the Arundells; Penwortha, to the Vyvians; Tywarnhaile, to the Tyeses. Chiverton is a chief residence. Copper, lead, and tin are mined. Perran-Round, which we have separately noticed, is a chief antiquity; and there are a barrow and three camps, severally British, Roman, and Saxon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £415. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church was rebuilt in 1805. Two previous churches were overwhelmed by the sands; and one of them, after having been lost to view for ages, was discovered in 1835. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 – None, Post-1847 – Pydar
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Pyder
- Province: Canterbury