Perran-ar-worthal is a chapelry of St Stithians Ancient Parish in Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Perranarworthal, Perranwell and Ponsanooth.
Parish church: St. Peran
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1739
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PERRANARWORTHAL, a village and a parish in Falmouth district, Cornwall. The village stands in a deep dell, at the head of Restronguet creek, and at the mouth of the Kennal rivulet, near Perranwell r. station, and 3¼ miles N by W of Penryn; is sometimes called Perran-Wharf; and has a post-office, designated Perranar-worthal, Cornwall. The parish contains also the village of Perranwell, and comprises 1,796 acres. Real property, £2,710; of which £135 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 1,634; in 1861, 1,517. Houses, 323. The manor belonged formerly to the Mohuns and the Pendarveses, and belongs now to J. Bassett, Esq. The dell around the village is densely wooded; presents a delightful contrast to the rough adjacent hills; and presents the additional feature of a large iron-foundry. The minerals include lead, tin, and arsenic; and there is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of St Ithians, in the diocese of Cornwall. The church is dedicated to St. Piran, the patron of tinners; and a spring, called St. Piran’s well, is in the vicinity. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, and a mechanics’ institution.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PERRAN-ARWORTHAL (St. Peran), a parish, in the union of Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 3 miles (N.) from Penryn; containing 1755 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 1250 acres, is pleasantly situated, and in many parts the scenery is highly picturesque: Perran Vale is finely wooded, and watered by a stream abounding with excellent trout; and at Bisson is an ancient bridge of five arches, over the river Carnon, which flows through the parish. Near Perran-Will is an extensive manufactory of arsenic. Lead, copper, and tin ores are occasionally procured in the parish, and at Bisson-Bridge is a smelting-house; the making of nails is carried on to a considerable extent, and there is a large blanket and carpet manufactory. The Carnon stream-works are partly within the parish, in which stream gold has been found. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Stithians: the great tithes have been commuted for £150, and the small for £99; there is a glebe of 4 acres. Here are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Falmouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Carnmarth
- Poor Law Union: Falmouth
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury