Penponds is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1847 from Camborne Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Camborne Holy Trinity
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1857
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian, Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENPONDS, a chapelry, with a village, in Camborne parish, Cornwall; on the West Cornwall railway, near Gwinear-Road r. station, and 4 miles WSW of Camborne. It was constituted in 1849; and its post town is Camborne, Cornwall. Pop., 2,012. Houses, 393. Penponds Bottom is crossed by a viaduct of the railway, and presents a pretty scene. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is modern.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PENPONDS, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Camborne, union of Redruth, E. division of the hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 1 mile (S. W.) from the town of Camborne; containing 2817 inhabitants. The district was constituted in December 1846, under the provisions of the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37. It is bounded on the north by the sea, and comprises 2621 acres of land, much of which has been brought into cultivation within the last few years, and some of which is rich and fertile. The West Cornwall railway passes through, as does the road from Camborne to Penzance and Hayle. Several copper mines have been worked in the district, but all are now discontinued. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Exeter, alternately. There are two places of worship for Methodists, and one for Bible Christians.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Redruth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Redruth
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury