Pendeen Cornwall Family History Guide

Pendeen is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1846 from St Just in Penwith Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: St Just in Penwith St John the Baptist

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1849
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: None

Nonconformists include:

Adjacent Parishes

Parish History

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

PENDEEN, a village and a chapelry in St. Just-in-Penwith parish, Cornwall. The village stands on the coast, at Portherras Cove, 7 miles WNW of Penzance r. station; is of recent origin; and has a post-office under Penzance, and a coastguard station. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop., 3,513. Houses, 615. The property is divided among a few. Pendeen House was the birthplace of Dr. Borlase, the antiquary. Extensive mining is carried on; and the rocks possess interest for geologists. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £170. Patron, the Rev. J. Aitken. The church is modern and handsome; and was erected, in their leisure hours, by the inhabitants themselves.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848

PENDEEN, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of St. Just, union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, 6½ miles (N. W.) from Penzance; containing 2700 inhabitants. This district lies on the north-west coast of the county, and is partly bounded by Pendeen cove; westward it is bounded by the sea. It extends two miles and a quarter from north to south, and two miles and a half from east to west; and is a dreary, treeless tract, disfigured by mining operations. There are several tin and copper mines, of which the principal are Levant and Botallack. The district was constituted in January 1846, under the act 6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37: the church has not yet been built. The dissenters have six places of worship. At Pendeen is an extensive cave, to which the Britons probably retired as a place of security, with their property, from the assaults of the Saxons or piratical Danes; and in different parts of the district are cairns and ancient circles. Dr. William Borlase, author of the Natural History and Antiquities of Cornwall, was born here.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Cornwall
  • Civil Registration District: Penzance
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
  • Diocese: Exeter
  • Rural Deanery: Penwith
  • Poor Law Union: Penzance
  • Hundred: Penwith
  • Province: Canterbury