Pelynt is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Trelawne.
Alternative names: Plynt
Parish church: St. Nunn
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1678
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PELYNT, or Plynt, a village and a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall. The village stands 4 miles W N W of Looe, and 9¾ S S W of Liskeard r. station; and has a post-office under Liskeard, and fairs on the first Tuesday of Feb. and 24 June. The parish comprises 4,683 acres. Real property, £4,055. Pop., 729. Houses, 142. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Plewent; belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne; and was recently sold in lots. Trelawney House belongs to the Trelawney family; was the birthplace of Sir Jonathan Trelawney, one of the seven bishops committed to the Tower by James II.; and contains a noble hall and many valuable pictures. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £240. Patron, J. W. Buller, Esq. The church contains the monuments, effigies, and armour of the Achyms, the Bullers, and the Trelawneys. A chapel is at Trelawney House; and a small convent, with a chapel, is about a mile from it. Charities, £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
PELYNT (St. Nunn), a parish, in the union of Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from West Looe; containing 834 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 18. 6½.; patron and impropriator, J. W. Buller, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £400, and those of the vicar for £235: there are 50 acres of glebe. The church contains a curious monument to the memory of Francis Buller, who died in 1615. At Trelawny, in the parish, yet remains a portion of a castellated mansion erected by Lord Bonville in the fifteenth century.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Liskeard
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: West
- Poor Law Union: Liskeard
- Hundred: West (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury