North Tamerton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Parish church: St. Denis
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist
- Pyworthy, Devon
- Clawton, Devon
- Bridgerule, Devon
- Week St Mary
- Tetcott, Devon
- Luffincott, Devon
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TAMERTON (North), a parish in the district of Holsworthy and county of Cornwall; on the river Tamar, 8 miles N by W of Launceston r. station. It has a post-office under Holsworthy, North Devon. Acres, 5,261. Real property, £2,865. Pop., 486. Houses, 87. The property is divided among a few. The living is a donative in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £230. Patron, alternately Mrs. Smith and the Rev. R. G. Kingdon. The church was reported in 1859 as not good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
TAMERTON, NORTH (St. Denis), a parish, in the union of Holsworthy, hundred of Stratton. E. division of Cornwall, 5 miles (S. S. W.) from Holsworthy; containing 589 inhabitants. It comprises 4775 acres, of which 450 are common or waste. The surface is in general hilly; the soil, though various, is for the most part a poor clayey earth. The river Tamar and the Bude canal run through the parish, parallel with each other, from north to south. The living is a donative curacy; net income, £230; patrons, R. P. Coffin, Esq., and the Cowlard family: the glebe contains about 20 acres. There is a dilapidated chapel at Hornacot.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Holsworthy
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Trigg Major
- Poor Law Union: Holsworthy
- Hundred: Stratton
- Province: Canterbury