North Hill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Congdon Shop, Illand, Trebartha, Coads Green, and Bathpool.
Alternative names: Northill
Parish church: St. Torney
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1555
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NORTHILL, or North Hill, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Launceston district, Cornwall. The village stands near the river Lynher, 7½ miles SW by S of Launceston r. station; and has a post-office under Launceston, and fairs on the last Monday of April, 8 Sept., and the first Thursday of Nov. The parish contains also the hamlets of Bathpool, Coads-Green, Congdon-Shop, Illand, and Trebartha; and extends northward to the river Inny. Acres, 6,732. Real property, £7,350. Pop. in 1851, 1,193; in 1861, 1,263. Houses, 254. The property is subdivided. Trebartha Hall is a chief residence; belonged once to the Spoures and the Trebarthas; and belongs now to F. Rodd, Esq. King Arthur’s Bedis a rock-basin on Trewortha tor. Good building-stone abounds; granite is extensively worked and exported; some stream-tin works have been opened; and manganese has been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £538. Patron, F. Rodd, Esq. The church is an ancient and good granite structure; has a groined porch, and a lofty pinnacled tower; and contains two monuments to the Vincents and the Spoures. Chapels of ease were formerly at Trebartha and Landreyne. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bryanites, a national school, and charities £5. The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 25,088. Pop., 5,508. Houses, 1,114.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
NORTH-HILL (St. Torney), a parish, in the union of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 6¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Launceston; containing 1217 inhabitants. The parish is bounded for a short distance on the north by the river Inny, and is intersected by the Lynher, which discharges itself into the Hamoaze. It comprises by survey 6732 acres, of which 2333 are common or waste. There are some stream tin-works in the southern portion of it, and manganese has been found; good buildingstone is quarried in several parts, and the substratum of the southern districts is chiefly granite. Fairs are held in the beginning of September and November. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £36. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Rev. Dr. Rodd: the tithes have been commuted for £538; the glebe comprises 50 acres. The church is a handsome structure of granite, in the early English style, with a lofty embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and contains several interesting monuments, among which, in the south aisle, is a splendid one to the memory of the Spoure family, of Trebartha Hall, in the parish. At Trebartha and Landreyne were formerly chapels. There are places of worship for Wesleyans; and a national school supported by Dr. Rodd. From a lofty elevation in the grounds of Trebartha Park, a stream tributary to the Lynher descends with much picturesque beauty, forming several falls in its course for nearly a mile. On a tor near the road side are several rock basins, called "Arthur's Troughs," near which are some Druidical remains, and Arthur's Hall, an opening 60 feet long.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Launceston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: East
- Poor Law Union: Launceston
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury