Newquay is a chapelry of St Columb Minor Ancient Parish in Cornwall.
Alternative names: St Columb Minor St Michael
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1882
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWQUAY, a village in St. Columb-Minor parish, Cornwall; on a small bay of its own name, continuous south-south-westward with Watergate bay, and under shelter of Towan Head, 7 miles WSW of St. Columb-Major. It is a coast-guard station, the seat of a considerable pilchard fishery, and a rising watering-place; and it has a head post-office, designated New Quay, Cornwall, two good inns, a small harbour, with a pier, and chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A beach of firm smooth sand extends 3 miles adjacent to it, beneath a range of romantic cliffs; a sandstone of recent origin, formed from blown sand, and compact enough to be quarried for building purposes, is on the shore; and rocks of much interest to geologists, and a recently-opened lead mine, are in the neighbourhood. A railway, intended to go across the county from Newquay to Par, was begun by the Late Mr. Treffry of Place House, Fowey; and a line, 5¼ miles in length, from the St. Dennis branch of that railway, to the Cornwall near Burngullow, and to be called the Newquay and Cornwall Junction, was authorized in 1864, on a capital of £27,000 in shares, and £9,000 in loans.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Columb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pydar
- Poor Law Union: St Columb Major
- Hundred: Pyder
- Province: Canterbury