Status: Ecclesiastical Parish
Alternative names: Paul St Peter, Newlan St Peter
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1851
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWLYN, a sea-port village in Paul parish, and a chapelry partly also in Madron parish, Cornwall. The village stands on Mounts bay, under Paul hill, ¾ of a mile S W of Penzance r. station; was burnt by the Spaniards in 1595; consists chiefly of one street nearly½ a mile long, with several deflecting alleys; carries on extensive fisheries, with about 300 boats; is notable for malodour of fish-refuse and cottage-dunghills; and has a post-office under Penzance, an inn, and a large brewery. A small harbour, with a pier, admits vessels of 100 tons; and a new harbour was projected in the latter part of 1865, to comprise two piers inclosing and protecting a water-area of about 80 acres, to have a depth of 15 feet at low-water spring tides at the pier-heads, and to be constructed at a cost of £50,000. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Pop. in 1861, 3,086. Houses, 678. Pop. of the Paul portion, 2,904. Houses, 642. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £130. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
NEWLYN, a hamlet, in the parish of Paul, union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, ½ a mile (S. W.) from Penzance; containing 1218 inhabitants. This place, which is situated on the western shore of Mount's bay in the English Channel, was of much importance previously to its being burnt by the Spaniards in 1595. It is still a very considerable village, with one principal thoroughfare nearly half a mile in length, from which several smaller streets branch off in various directions. The harbour is commodious, and accessible to vessels of 100 tons' burthen, which may ride in safety; it is chiefly frequented by the seine-boats and others employed in the pilchard and mackerel fisheries, which are carried on here and at Mousehole, also in the parish, to a greater extent than on any other part of the coast of Cornwall. There are 300 boats engaged in the fisheries belonging to the port; and not less than 200 cellars are used for the curing of pilchards, of which immense numbers are taken during the season, beginning in July, and ending in October. The mackerel are in high repute, and the London market is supplied with them during the early part of the season, by way of Portsmouth. The coast abounds also with turbot, dories, mullet, cod, ling, haddock, pullings, whitings, soles, plaice, bream, congers, crayfish, lobsters, and crabs. Not far from the village, on the road to Mousehole, is a four-gun battery for the defence of the coast, and near it a furnace for heating shot. A large brewery is carried on. There are a church dedicated to St. Peter, and places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Civil Registration District: Penzance
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
Rural Deanery: Penwith
Poor Law Union: Penzance