Newlyn East is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Mitchell.
Alternative names: Newlyn, Newlyn in Pydar, St Newlyn
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
NEWLYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in St. Columb district, Cornwall. The village stands on elevated ground, under Newlyn Down, 7½ miles S W of St. Columb Major, and 8 WNW of Grampound-Road r.station; was once a market-town; is now a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Grampound-Road, Cornwall, and a fair on 8 Nov. The parish contains also the ancient manor of Cargol, and part of the disfranchised borough of Mitchell. Acres, 8,010. Real property, £9,966; of which £1,775 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 2,152; in 1861, 1,641. Houses, 337. The decrease of pop.was caused by the closing of mines. The manor and most of the land belong to Sir Thomas D. Acland, Bart., Viscount Falmouth, the Bishop of Exeter, and H. T. Hawkins, Esq. Cargol belonged to Bodmin priory, passed to the Bishops of Exeter, and had an Episcopal palace. Trerice was the seat of Lord John Arundell, who defended Pendennis Castle when he was 80 years of age; and is now represented by only a fragment. Newlyn House belongs to Sir T. D. Acland; is an interesting ancient mansion; and was recently restored. Tresilianis the seat of R. G. Bennett, Esq. Treludra belonged to the Borlases. The surface is hilly, and partly intersected by deep vales. The rocks include slate, limestone, and lead ore. East Huel Rose was one of the largest leadmines in Cornwall, and yielded about 40 ounces of silver per ton of ore. There are several chalybeate springs. Several barrows are on the hills. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £380. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, cruciform, and spacious; has, at various periods, been much altered by repairs and reconstructions; was re-roofed in 1846; has an embattled and pinnacled tower; and contains some old carvings, and monuments of the Arundells. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bryanites, an endowed school with £5 a year, and charities £37. The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 20, 117. Pop., 3, 593. Houses, 731.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Columb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pydar
- Poor Law Union: St Columb Major
- Hundred: Pyder
- Province: Canterbury