Status: Ancient Parish
Other places in the parish include: Mylor Bridge, Perran Wharf
Parish church: St. Melor
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1673
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1607
Nonconformists include: Baptists, Bryanites, Independents, Wesleyans, and Unitarians
Parishes adjacent to Mylor
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870
MYLOR, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Falmouth district, Cornwall. The village stands on a branch of Falmouth harbour, 2 miles by water ENE of Falmouth, and 3 E of Penrhyn r. station; and has a post-office under Falmouth. The parish contains also the village of Mylor-Bridge, at the head of Mylor creek, the village of Flushing, on Falmouth harbour proper, directly opposite Falmouth, and part of Perran-Wharf. Acres, 5,002; of which 1,440 are water. Real property, £6,565. Pop., 2,213. Houses, 479. The property is divided among a few; but the greater portion belongs to Lords Clinton and Saye. Trefusis House belonged formerly to the Trefusis family, belongs now to Lord Clinton, and is tenanted by a farmer. Carclew belonged formerly to the Bonithons, and is now the seat of Sir Charles Lemon, Bart. Trefusis Point separates two divisions of Falmouth harbour; is crowned with trees, embosoming Trefusis House; and presents a fine appearance as seen from Falmouth. The transport ship “Queen,” laden with invalids from the Spanish peninsula, was wrecked on this point in 1814; when so many as 195 persons perished, and the bodies of 140 were buried in the churchyards of Mylor, Budock, and Gluvias. Mylor creek strikes west-north-westward from the Carrick-Road branch of Falmouth harbour; divides the parish into two nearly equal portions; and has a winding outline, extending to the woods of Enys. Mylor pool, at the mouth of the creek, is a favourite anchorage for small vessels; and has a small dockyard and a range of storehouses, belonging to the government. The Astroea English frigate and the L'Aurore French frigate, after the former had captured the latter in battle, were brought hither, and now lie as melancholy hulks, the former in capacity of a coal depot in Mylor pool, the latter on the opposite side of Carrick-Road at St. Just pool. A private dockyard with a building slip, also hot and cold sea-baths, are at Flushing; extensive works for mine machinery and for steam-ship boilers, are at Perran; and copper steam-works are on the Carnon estuary. The surface of the parish is pleasantly diversified; the climate is remarkably mild, and attracts many invalids; the indigenous plants present a wide range, including many varieties of heaths; the rocks contain veins of tin and copper; and the shores are studded with marine villas. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Mabe, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £385. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is partly Norman, but chiefly of the time of Henry VI.; has a sculptured Norman N porch, an empanelled pillared S porch, and a separate ivy-clad bell-tower; and contains monuments of the Bonithon and Trefusis families, and a monument of R. Cocks by Westmacott. The churchyard contains two fine yew-trees; and its wall is washed by the sea. The p. curacy of Flushing is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Bible Christians, and Unitarians; and there is a school supported by Sir C. Lemon.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
People declared bankrupt and the date of bankruptcy.
Mayn Jonathan, Flushing, Mylor, Cornwall, merchant, Feb. 14, 1840.
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Falmouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Kerrier
- Poor Law Union: Falmouth
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury