Morvah is a chapelry of Madron Ancient Parish in Cornwall.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1617
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1614
Nonconformists include: Bryanites, Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MORVAH, a parish, with a small village, in Penzance district, Cornwall; on the coast, 6 miles NW by W of Penzance r. station. Post town, Penzance. Acres, 1,226. Real property, £900. Pop., 380. Houses, 72. Tregamynon was a seat of the Lanyons. Porthmear cove and Portherras cove are on the coast; and large blocks of granite are at Carn-Galva. There are a Danish fort, called Castle-Chun, and a cromlech. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Madron, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was rebuilt in 1828, has a tower, and contains an ancient font and numerous monuments.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MORVAH, a parish, in the union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, 6 miles (N. W.) from Penzance; containing 407 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north by the Bristol Channel, and comprises 1120 acres, of which 738 are common or waste land: the cliffs on this part of the coast are extremely fine. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Madron. The church was rebuilt in 1828. There are places of worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans; and a boys’ school, chiefly supported by subscription. At Tregominion are the remains of an ancient chapel. Castle Chun, in the neighbourhood, is the most regular Danish fortification in the county; near it is a cromlech.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Penzance
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Penzance
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury