Merther is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1787 from chapelry in Probus Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1675
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MERTHER, a parish in Truro district, Cornwall; on St. Clement’s creek, an inner offshoot of the Fal river., 6 miles E by S of Truro r. station. Post town, Tresilian, under Probus, Cornwall. Acres, 1,726. Real property, £2,088. Pop., 384. Houses, 79. The manor and most of the land belong to Viscount Falmouth. Tresawsen, now a farm-house, was formerly the seat of the Hals family, and was inhabited by William Hals, author of the “Parochial History of Cornwall.” Tresilian bridge spans St. Clement’s creek, at the boundary with Probus parish; and a commerce up to that point is carried on in coal, lime, and timber. The gate-house of Tregothnan, the seat of Viscount Falmouth, adjoins the bridge. Here was the place where the royal army surrendered to Fairfax in 1646. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £32. Patron, the Vicar of ProbusThe church is ancient but good; and has a tower surmounted by a wooden bell-turret. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £20 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury