Mawnan is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Parish church: St. Mona
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1553
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MAWNAN, a village and a parish in Falmouth district, Cornwall. The village stands 4 miles SSW of Falmouth town and r. station; and has a post office under Falmouth. The parish comprises 2,058 acres of land, and 200 of water. Real property, £2,329. Pop., 572. Houses, 115. The property is subdivided. Penwarne and Trerose are chief residences; and the latter was formerly the seat of the Killigrews, the Slannings, the Kempes, and others. The rocks include slate, granite, porphyry, and iron and copper ores. An ancient circular camp is at Carlidnack. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £323. Patron, J. J. Rogers, Esq. The church is ancient, in fair condition; and has a tower, which serves as a landmark to mariners. A chapel of ease, with a cemetery, was formerly at Penwarne. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and an endowed national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MAWNAN (St. Mona), a parish, in the union of Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Falmouth; containing 582 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south-east by the English Channel, in which, within its limits, are two small open bays, called respectively Paisk and Bream; on the south runs the Helford river, an arm of the sea about a mile in breadth. The parish comprises 2058a. 3r. 37p. The soil is indifferent; in some parts coarse and shallow, and in others overgrown with furze: the surface is hilly, and the lower grounds are watered by numerous rivulets. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £14. 16. 3., and in the gift of the Rev. John Rogers: the tithes have been commuted for £304. 10.; the glebe comprises 38 acres, with a spacious house. The church is a handsome structure, in the later English style: on rebuilding the north wall, in 1827, the foundations of a wall were discovered, which had evidently belonged to a former church. At Penwarne was anciently a chapel, with a cemetery. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. At Carlinnack is a circular intrenchment.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Falmouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Kerrier
- Poor Law Union: Falmouth
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury