Mawgan in Pyder is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Lanherne.
Alternative names: St Mawgan in Pyder
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1674
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MAWGAN-IN-PYDER (ST.), a village and a parish in St.Columb district, Cornwall. The village stands in a valley, on a considerable stream, 2 miles from the coast, 3¼ NW by W of St. Columb-Major, and 12 NW of St. Austell r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Mawgan, under St. Columb, Cornwall, and a fair on 24 June. The parish extends to the coast; and comprises 5,468 acres of land, and 160 of water. Real property, £4,559. Pop., 731. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. The ancient manor-house, now a nunnery, is noticed in the article LANHERNE. Carnauton was once the seat of the lawyer Roy, and is now the seat of H. Williams, Esq. A cove, called Mawgan-Porth, is at the mouth of the stream which waters Mawgan village; and a romantic little bay, called Bodrothan-Steps, is about a mile to the N. Traces of ancient earthworks are near the village. Good slate is quarried on the cliffs of the coast, chiefly for exportation. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £585. Patron, H. Williams, Esq. The church is ancient; was beautifully restored in 1861; and contains an old screen, and several brasses and monuments to the Arundells. The churchyard contains a very interesting sculptured cross. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and two village schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Columb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pydar
- Poor Law Union: St Columb Major
- Hundred: Pyder
- Province: Canterbury