Manaccan is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Highlanes.
Alternative names: Monathon, Minster
Parish church: St. Menaacus and St. Dunstan
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1624
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MANACCAN, a village and a parish in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands near the coast, 6½ miles SSW of Falmouth r. station; and has a post office under Helston, Cornwall, and fairs on 21 March and 17 Oct. The parish comprises 1,718 acres of land, and 125 of water. Real property, £2,311. Pop., 505. Houses, 96. The property is divided among a few. Kestell, an old seat, belonged to the Kestells, and passed to the Lemons. The metal titanium was first found here, in the stream of Tregonwell-mill, by the late Rev. W. Gregor; and the mineral containing it is a titaniferous iron, and has been called manaccanite or gregorite. An ancient double-entrenched camp is at Resmorden, and Roman coins have been found near it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £193. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, and was restored and enlarged in 1824. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a national school. Vestiges of an ancient chapel are at Tregonwell. The Rev. R. Polewhele, author of a history of Cornwall, was vicar.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
MANACCAN, or Monathon (St. Menaacus and St. Dunstan), a parish, in the union of Helston, W. division of the hundred of Kerrier and of the county of Cornwall, 7 miles (S. W. by S.) from Falmouth; containing 569 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in a pleasant vale of the same name, is bounded on the east by the river Hel, and includes the small port of Helford. The parish comprises by measurement 1718 acres. There are slate-quarries at Treath, and stone of good quality for building is obtained. In a stream that flows through the vale into the estuary adjoining the parish, a mineral was discovered a few years since, which was called Manaccanite, and subsequently Titanium; it is one of the varieties of Titaniferous iron. The river, which at Halford is nearly a mile in breadth, is navigated for three miles beyond that port by vessels bringing timber from Norway; and the port affords safe anchorage for vessels of from 200 to 300 tons’ burthen, when detained by contrary winds from reaching Falmouth. Fairs are held on the 11th of March and 15th of October, or on the Tuesdays nearest to those days. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king’s books at £4. 16. 0½.; patron, the Bishop of Exeter; impropriator of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, G. W. F. B. Gregor, Esq. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £240, and the incumbent’s for £180; the glebe comprises 34 acres. The church, an ancient structure, in the early English style, received in 1824 an addition of 100 sittings: a large fig-tree growing out of the south wall, and about sixty years old, is in a flourishing state. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans, and a national school. At Tregonwell are vestiges of an old chapel, and Roman coins have been frequently found there; at Resmorden is a double intrenchment, running parallel with the road from Helston to St. Keverne. The Rev. R. Polwhele, historian of the counties of Cornwall and Devon, was vicar from 1794 to 1821.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Helston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Kerrier
- Poor Law Union: Helston
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury