Lezant is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Trebullett, Trewarlet, Trekenna, Trewarlett, Trebollet, and Rezare.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1539
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEZANT, a parish in Launceston district, Cornwall; between the rivers Inny and Tamar, 4 miles S of Launceston r. station. It contains the villages of Trebollet, Trekenna, and Rezare, and the hamlet of Trewarlet; and its Post town is Launceston. Acres, 4,560. Real property, £5,036. Pop., 815. Houses, 176. The property is divided among a few. Landew, formerly the seat of the Herles, is a chief residence. Trecarrell, now an ivied ruin, was a mansion partly built by Sir John Trecarrell, but never finished. A lead mine is near Landew. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £406. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, has a pinnacled tower, and contains monuments of the Herles, the Trecarells, and the Trefusises. There were formerly chapels at Landew and Trecarrell. There are now chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Free Methodists; also national and infant schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Launceston
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - East
- Poor Law Union: Launceston
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury