Lewannick is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Trebartha, Trevadlock Cross, and Polyphant.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1660
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Bible Christian Methodist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LEWANNICK, a village and a parish in Launceston district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Inny, 5 miles SW of Launceston r. station; and has a post office under Launceston. The parish comprises 4,000 acres. Real property, £4,325. Pop. in 1851, 747; in 1861, 685. Houses, 138. The decrease of pop. arose from the stoppage of mining, and from emigration. The property is much subdivided. Trelaske House is the seat of the Archers. Good building-stone, a very hard slate stone, and a fine vari-coloured freestone, for mantelpieces and ornamental work, are quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £242. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, not in good condition; has a lofty pinnacled tower; and contains monuments of the Lowers and the Archers. A chapel to Minster priory was formerly at Pollyfont. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Bible Christians, and a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
Various manorial records from Cornwall, 1624-1839 Author: Manor of Ruthvose (Cornwall); Manor of Selena (Cornwall); Manor of Bridge End (Cornwall); Manor of Skewis (Cornwall); Manor of Tregorrick (Cornwall)
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Launceston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: East
- Poor Law Union: Launceston
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury