Ladock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Grampound Road, New Mills, and Besock.
Alternative names: Lassick
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1609
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LADOCK, or Lassick, a parish, containing the village of Besock, in Truro district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Ladock, in a fine valley, 2½ miles W by S of Grampound-Road r. station, and 7 NE of Truro; and has a post-office, of the name of Ladock, under Grampound-Road, and a cattle-fair on 13 May. The parish comprises 5,691 acres. Real property, £4,320. Pop. in 1851, 811; in 1861, 742. Houses, 169. The decrease of pop. arose partly from the closing of a large lead mine. The manor belonged formerly to the Pitts. Nansaugh is a chief residence. Large quantities of tin were long ago produced; iron ore, of superior quality, is sent hence to Swansea; and some comparatively large pieces of gold have been found. The parish is a meet for the Four Burrow hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £767. Patron, Dr. Wise. The church stands on an eminence above Besock village; was recently restored, at a cost of £2,000; and has a fine E stained window, and a beautifully proportioned tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a slightly endowed national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury