Kenwyn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Kea is a chapelry of Kenwyn.
Other places in the parish include: Short Lanes End and Tregavethan.
Alternative names: Kenwyn with Kea
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1662
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KENWYN, a parish and a sub-district in Truro district, Cornwall. The parish lies partly within Truro borough; is traversed by a rivulet of its own name, and bounded on the E by the rivulet Allen, both of which fall into the river Fal at Truro; includes the chapelries of St. George and St. John, and parts of the chapelries of Chacewater, Baldhu, and Mithian; and is averagely, as to its church, 1 mile NW of Truro town and r. station. Post town, Truro. Acres, 8,997. Real property, £27,930; of which £1,835 are in mines, £79 in quarries, £33 in iron works, £8,563 in railways, and £100 in gas works. Pop. in 1851, 9,743; in 1861, 10,639. Houses, 2,234. Pop. of the part within Truro borough, 5,306. Houses, 1,125. Pop. of the part forming St. George’s chapelry, 2,846; of the part forming St. John’s chapelry, 2,600. The property is much subdivided. Chincoss was the seat of the Haweses; Comprigny, of the Vivians; Roseworth, of the Enys. Smelting works are at Calenick and Cavedras. Barrows are on the Downs. The Cornwall infirmary is within the parish; and, at the census of 1861, had 66 inmates. The head living is a vicarage, united with the Vicarage of St. Kea, and the livings of St. George and St. John are p. curacies, in the diocese of Exeter Value of the head living, £793; of St. George, £150; of St. John, £200. Patron of the head living, the Bishop of Exeter; of St. George, alternately the Crown and the Bishop; of St. John, the Vicar of Kenwyn. The parochial church was recently restored and beautified, and has a tower; and stands on an eminence, commanding an extensive view. There are dissenting chapels, and national schools. The sub-district contains also the extra-parochial tract of Tregavethan. Acres, 10,004. Pop., 10,673. Houses, 2,240.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Truro
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: Truro
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury