Gwithian is a chapelry of Phillack Ancient Parish in Cornwall.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1560
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GWITHIAN, a village, a parish, and a stream, in Redruth district, Cornwall. The village stands near the mouth of the stream, at the E side of St. Ives bay, 2½ miles N by W of Gwinear Road r. station, and 3¾ NE of Hayle; and has been so exposed to accumulations of drift sand as to have been in risk of destruction by them, and as to have required an extensive planting of the arundo arenaria to stop them. The parish comprises 2,318 acres of land, and 315 of water. Post town, Hayle. Real property, £2,340; of which £640 are in mines. Pop., 774. Houses, 168. The property is divided among a few. Much of the land has been overwhelmed by drift sand. Copper ore is worked; and, at one time, was worked more extensively than now. Building stone, and a peculiar kind of freestone, suitable for chimneys, are quarried. There are extensive ancient earthworks, called Trevarian Rounds. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Phillack, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is not good. Remains of an ancient, small, very rude chapel, a baptistery, and a grave yard, were, not long ago, discovered, by digging in to the sand, in the vicinity of the church. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The stream rises between Redruth and Camborne; and runs westward, about 6½ miles, to St. Ives bay.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Redruth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Redruth
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury