Gulval is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Alternative names: Lanesly
Other places in the parish include: Carfury and Gear.
Parish church: St. Gulval
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1598
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GULVAL, a village and a parish in Penzance district, Cornwall. The village stands in a deep, wooded vale, at the northern extremity of Mounts bay, near the Cornwall railway, 1¼ mile NE of Penzance. The parish comprises 4,357 acres of land, and 190 of water. Post town, Penzance. Real property, £6,500; of which £220 are in the railway, and £18 in quarries. Pop., 1,743. Houses, 332. The property is much subdivided. The manor anciently belonged to the Halse family; was given by them to the priory of St. Germain; and bore the name of LanistIey. The rocks are granite and schists; an have yielded much ore in mining operations. A tract which was long a bare moor is nom partly disposed in fields, and partly overgrown with briers and ivy. Gulval Carn, on that tract, commands a fine view of Mounts bay and Penzance. An ancient inscribed stone is at a stream, and was long used there as a foot bridge. A chalybeate spring is near Maddern, and was once the object of a singular superstition. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £449. Patron, the lord Chancellor. The church was built in the 15th century; is in good condition; and contains a register chest and some old monuments. An ancient cross is in the churchyard. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, a national school, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
GULVAL (St. Gulval), a parish, in the union of Penzance, W. division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county of Cornwall, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Penzance; containing 1941 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4350 acres, of which 750 are waste or common; the surface is varied, and from the higher grounds are fine views of the surrounding country, including St. Michael’s Mount and Mount bay. The soil on the south side is of light sandy quality, and favourable for early vegetables, of which great quantities are raised for the supply of the town of Falmouth and neighbouring markets; the other parts of the parish have some good pasture and arable lands. A tannery is carried on to a considerable extent; and several mills are put in motion by a copious stream which rises in the northern part of the parish, and falls into Mount bay. The living is a vicarage, and valued in the king’s books at £6. 11. 0½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the great tithes have been commuted for £268, and the small for £355; there is a vicarial glebe of 12 acres. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. At Rosemorren are the remains of a cromlech, near which several sculptured stones, earthen urns containing ashes, burnt bones, a celt, &c., have been found. There is a spring called Gulfwell, or the Hebrew Brook, formerly held in great veneration.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Penzance
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Penzance
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury