Godolphin is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1846 from Breage Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Breage St John the Baptist, Godolphin Cross
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1846
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
GODOLPHIN, a hamlet and a chapelry in Breage parish, Cornwall. The hamlet lies 4 miles S by E of Gwinear-Road r. station, and 5½ NW by W of Helston; and was anciently called Godolcan, which signifies “a white eagle. ” The chapelry was constituted in 1846; and its post town is Hayle. Pop., 1,884. Houses, 386. The land is interesting for hills, fine views, and wealth of minerals. See Breage. Godolphin House was built, in the time of Elizabeth, by Sir Francis Godolphin; belonged to the Godolphin family till they became extinct in 1785; is a quadrangular edifice of granite, with a handsome portico; belongs now to the Duke of Leeds; and is occupied as a farm-house, and marred by the vicinity of mining works. The manor was held by the Godolphins from the Conquest; and passed, by marriage of the youngest daughter of the last of them, to the Duke of Leeds. Sir Sidney Godolphin was created, by Charles II., Baron Godolphin; and by Queen Anne, Earl Godolphin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1846.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Helston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Kerrier
- Poor Law Union: Helston
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury