Crowan is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Leedstown, Nancegollan, Praze an Beeble, and Horsedowns.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1691
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1614
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CROWAN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands 3 miles S of Camborne r. station, and 5 NNW of Helston; and has a post office under Camborne, Cornwall, and a fair on 17 May. The parish comprises 7,239 acres. Real property, £8,836. Pop., 4,131. Houses, 824. The property is divided among a few. The manor has belonged, since the time of Richard II., to the family of St. Aubyn. Granite, slate, and copper ore occur. Crowan Beacon is 850 feet high, and commands a fine view. A quondam logan-stone, thrown off its balance by some of Cromwell’s soldiers, lies ½ a mile south of the village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £451. Patron, the Rev. H. M. St. Aubyn. The church has a tower; contains monuments of the St. Aubyns; and was recently restored. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
Poorhouses & Poor Law
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Helston
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Helston
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury