Colan is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Alternative names: Little Colan, St Colan
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1747
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLAN, a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; 3½ miles SW of St. Columb-Major, and 8½ NNW of Grampound-Road r. station. Post-town, St. Columb, Cornwall. Acres, 1,545. Real property, £2,622. Pop., 255. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. Cosworth was the seat of the Blewitts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £163. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church was founded, in 1250, by Bishop Branscombe; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Columb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pydar
- Poor Law Union: St Columb Major
- Hundred: Pyder
- Province: Canterbury