Charlestown is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cornwall, created in 1846 from St Austell Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: West Polmear, St Austell St Peter, St Austell St Paul, Porthmeor
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1847
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHARLESTOWN, a small seaport town and a chapelry in St. Austell parish, Cornwall. The town stands on the coast, 2 miles SE of St. Austell; is a sub-port to Fowey; and has a post office under St. Austell. It was founded, towards the close of last century, by Charles Rashleigh, Esq; has harbour and docks, of capacity for large ships; has also building yards and pilchard fisheries; carries on a large export trade in lime, china clay, and other mineral produce; and is connected, by tram railway, with St. Austell, and with extensive tin mines of its own name, employing about 430 hands. The chapelry includes the town; and was constituted in 1846. Pop., 3,367. Houses, 675. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £160. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The following records are available free online.
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Austell
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Powder
- Poor Law Union: St Austell
- Hundred: Powder
- Province: Canterbury