Camborne is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Barripper, Roseworthy, and Adjewhells.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1538
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist Association, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CAMBORNE, a town, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Redruth district, Cornwall. The town stands adjacent to the West Cornwall railway, in the centre of a rich mining tract, 14¼ miles WSW of Truro. It is a thriving place, a scene of considerable traffic, and a seat of petty sessions; and has a head post office, a r. station with telegraph, a banking office, a hotel, a market house of 1866, a church, four dissenting chapels, and charities £70. The church is perpendicular English, in granite, large, but very low; was restored in 1862; contains a carved wooden pulpit, a new granite font, and monuments of the family of Pendarves; and has, on the outside, an ancient inscribed stone, placed in its present position by the late Lord de Dunstanville, and believed to have been originally an altar cover. A weekly market is held on Saturday; and fairs on 7 March, Whit-Tuesday, 29 June, and 11 Nov. Pop., 7,208. Houses, 1,415. The parish includes also the villages of Tucking-mill, Penponds, Berippa, Trewithan, and others. Acres, 6,744. Real property, £39,102; of which £26,315 are in mines. Pop., 14,056. Houses, 2,737. Pendarves, about a mile S of the town, the seat of the late E.W.W. Pendarves, Esq., is a modern granite edifice; contains some good pictures and a rich mineral cabinet; and stands in a fine park, formed entirely out of a moor. Tehidy, the seat of J. F. Basset, Esq., has a good collection of pictures, and stands in a park of upwards of 700 acres. Carnbrea, a rocky eminence 740 feet high, is regarded by Borlase as having been the chief seat of the Druids in the west of England; and Carwinnen, a wild moorish hill confronting Pendarves, has at its foot a cromlech, called the Pendarves Quoit. Extensive mines are worked, and employ most of the inhabitants. Dolcoath mine, about 3 miles W of Carnbrea, has been sunk to the depth of 1,080 feet, and extends under ground fully a mile. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £600. Patron, J. F. Basset, Esq. The vicarages of Tucking-mill, Penponds, and Treslothan are separate charges. A modern chapel, in the Norman style, is at Tucking-mill; and a handsome one, built in 1842, is on an eminence in Pendarves park. An ancient chapel stood on the latter’s site; another stood at Trewin, adjacent to a medicinal well; and four or five more stood in other places. The subdistrict is conterminate with the parish.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
People declared bankrupt and the date of bankruptcy.
Knapp Francis, Camborne, Cornwall. victualler, Oct. 29, 1830.
Terrill William, Cambourne, Cornwall, tinman, April 6, 1827.
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Redruth
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Penwith
- Poor Law Union: Redruth
- Hundred: Penwith
- Province: Canterbury