Budock is a chapelry of St Gluvias Ancient Parish in Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Treverva.
Parish church: St. Budoke
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1652
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUDOCK, a parish in Falmouth district, Cornwall. It adjoins Falmouth on the SW, extends thence to Falmouth bay, includes Pendennis Castle, and has ready communication with Falmouth r. station; and its Post Town is Falmouth. Acres, 4,214; of which 295 are water. Real property, £10,671. Pop., 2,251. Houses, 411. The property is divided among a few. Granite abounds; and copper ore is worked. A college was founded, in 1270, at Glasenay, by Bishop Bronescombe. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of St. Gluvias, in the diocese of Exeter. The church contains monuments of the Killigrews; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £10. A fair is held on 12 Aug.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
BUDOCK (St. Budoke), a parish, in the union of Falmouth, E. division of the hundred of Kerrier, W. division of Cornwall, 1½ mile (W. by S.) from Falmouth; containing 1979 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the east by Falmouth bay and the English Channel, and crossed in one part by the road from Falmouth to Penryn, was distinguished for a collegiate church erected on Glaseney Moor in 1720, in honour of the Blessed Virgin and St. Thomas of Canterbury, by Walter Bronescombe, Bishop of Exeter. It continued till the Dissolution, at which time its revenue amounted to £205. 10. 6.; the buildings are said to have occupied a site of three acres, to have been inclosed with an embattled wall, and to have had a subterraneous communication with the church of Gluvias. Within the parish are Pendennis Castle, and Dunstanville and Green-Bank terraces, forming the principal part of the Barton of Penwarris, and adjoining the town of Falmouth. The parish comprises 3899 acres, of which 236 are common or waste; the surface is diversified with hill and dale, and generally well cultivated; and the views from the higher parts, both of sea and land, are extensive and commanding. Granite is largely quarried for exportation to London, at a place called the Budock Rocks, and near Swan Pool, a lake about a quarter of a mile in circumference, and separated from the sea by a bar of sand: there is also a copper-mine. The living is a vicarage, united to that of St. Gluvias: the tithes of Budock have been commuted for £800, of which £420 are payable to the vicar. The church is pleasantly situated on a hill; and contains portions in the later English style, and some interesting monuments to the family of Killegrew, of whom Sir John Killegrew was governor of Pendennis Castle in the reign of Henry VIII. Penwarris chapel was built in 1828, at a cost of about £1800, on Dunstanville-terrace; it contains 594 sittings, 307 of which are free, and is in the gift of the Vicar. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Budock Marriages 1653 to 1812
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
Budock Quaker Burial Ground
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: Falmouth
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Pre-1848 - None, Post-1847 - Kerrier
- Poor Law Union: Falmouth
- Hundred: Kerrier
- Province: Canterbury