Antony is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: West Antony, Wilcove, and St Jacob.
Status: Ancient Parish
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1677
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1608
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Antony
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
ANTONY, a parish and a subdistrict, in the district of St. Germans, Cornwall. The parish is called also Anthony-in-East and St. Jacob Anthony; lies on Lynher creek and the Hamoaze, 4 miles S of Saltash r. station, and 4 SE of St. Germans; and has a post office, of the name of Antony, under Devonport. Acres, 3,222 of land, and 1,260 of water. Real property, £14,508. Pop., 3,887. Houses, 562. The manor of East Antony be longed formerly to the Dawneys, and belongs now to the Carews. Antony House, on that manor, is a large square edifice of Pentnan stone, built in 1721 by Gibbs. and contains an interesting collection of old pictures. West Antony village, or St. Jacob, is a pleasant place; and, owing to its proximity to Devonport and Plymouth, is a favourite residence of officers connected with the dock yards and the navy at these towns. Antony Passage, at East Antony, has a ferry to Trematon. Beggars Island, below the passage, was named after Bamfyeld Moore Carew, commonly called King of the Beggars. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £262. Patron, W. H. P. Carew. The church was built in 1420, but has a tower of the previous century; and it contains monuments of Lady Marjory Arundel, Richard Carew, who wrote the “Survey of Cornwall,” and Captain Graves, R. N., who figured in the time of George II. The curacy of Merrifield is united with the vicarage; and the p. curacy of Torpoint is a separate incumbency. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The workhouse of St. Germans is in this parish. Charities, £12. The subdistrict of Antony comprises four parishes. Acres, 9,740. Pop., 7,878. Houses, 1,336.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Antony (St. Jacob), 2½ m. S. Saltash. P. 2894
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
ANTHONY, WEST (St. Anthony and St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 5½ miles (S. E.) from St. Germans; containing, with the chapelry of Torpoint, 2894 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king’s books at £12. 17. 8½., and in the gift of the family of Carew, the impropriators: the incumbent’s tithes have been commuted for £307. 3. 6., with a glebe of 6 acres, and the great tithes for £284. 13. The incumbency of Torpoint is in the gift of the Vicar. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A small endowed school was founded in 1766, by Sir Coventry Carew, Bart.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Poorhouses & Poor Law
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cornwall
- Civil Registration District: St Germans
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: East
- Poor Law Union: St Germans
- Hundred: East (Cornwall)
- Province: Canterbury