Wrenbury is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1730 from chapelry in Acton Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Dodcott cum Wilkesley, Woodcote, Sound, Newhall, Woodcott, Chorley, Broomhall, and Bromhall.
Alternative names: Wrenbury cum Frith, Wrenbury with Frith
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1593
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1593
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WRENBURY, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Weaver, the Ellesmere canal, and the Crewe and Shrewsbury railway, 5 miles SW of Nantwich; and has a post-office under Nantwich, a r. station, an inn, and fairs on 25 March and 25 Sept. The township is called W.-with-Frith, and comprises 2,078 acres. Real property, £3,631. Pop., 531. Houses, 103. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Cholmondeley. W. Hall is the seat of Major Starkey. The parish includes 5 other townships and a part; and comprises 15,698 acres. Pop., 2,505. Houses, 484. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Aeton. The church is plain. There are four Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £79. The sub-district contains also Baddiley parish and parts of Audlem and Malpas; and comprises 30,139 acres. Pop., 6,033. Houses, 1,229.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Nantwich
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Nantwich
- Poor Law Union: Nantwich
- Hundred: Nantwich
- Province: York