Woodchurch is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Pensby, Arrowe, Arrow, Thingwell, Thingwall, Prenton, Barnston, Oxton, Noctorum, Landican, Irby, and Beeriston.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1571
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1581
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
- Upton by Birkenhead
- Nether Bebington
- Birkenhead St Mary
- Rock Ferry
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WOODCHURCH, a township and a sub-district in Wirral district, and a parish partly also in Birkenhead district, Cheshire. The township lies 4 miles WSW of Birkenhead r. station, and has a post-office under Birkenhead. Acres, 331. Real property, £822. Pop., 94. Houses, 16. The parish contains 7 townships and a part in Wirral district, and 2 and a part in Birkenhead district. Acres, 5,792. Pop. in 1851, 2,927; in 1861, 3,922. Houses, 650. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1,100. Patron, the Rev. P. R. Robin. The church is late perpendicular, with decorated English tower. The vicarage of Oxton is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school for boys with £55 a year, a national school for girls, and charities £30. The sub-district includes the Wirral part of W. parish, two other parishes, three other townships, and an extra-parochial tract. Acres, 44,764. Pop., 4,030. Houses, 736.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wirral
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Wirral
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York