Wheelock is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1840 from Sandbach Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1843
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1843
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHEELOCK, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Sandbach parish, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Wheelock and on the Grand Trunk canal, 1½ mile SSE of Sandbach r. station, and 4 NE of Crewe; and has a post-office under Sandbach, a brewery, bone-works, two silk-factories, extensive ironworks, and a branch railway for goods to the North Staffordshire line. The township comprises 666 acres. Real property, £2,119. Pop., 588. Houses, 119. W. House is the seat of W. Lycett, Esq. Salt-works are at Whitehall and Malkins-Bank. The chapelry was constituted in 1843. Pop., 1,869. Houses, 386. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of Sandbach. The church is good; and there are three dissenting chapels.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Congleton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Middlewich
- Poor Law Union: Congleton
- Hundred: Northwich
- Province: York