Werneth is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1841 from Stockport St Mary Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Compstall
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1839
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1847
Nonconformists include: Unitarian and Wesleyan Methodist.
- Hyde St George
- Mottram in Longendale
- Mellor, Derbyshire
- Denton, Lancashire
- Godley cum Newton Green
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WERNETH, a township-chapelry in Stockport parish, Cheshire; on the Manchester and Royton railway, and on the Peak Forest canal, 4 miles ENE of Stockport. It has a r. station with telegraph; and it contains the village of Compstall, with a post-office under Stockport, the village of Gee-Cross, with a post-office under Manchester, and the village of Apethorne. Acres, 1,560. Real property, £12,893; of which £13 are in quarries, and £30 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,635; in 1861, 3,464. Houses, 739. The decrease of pop. arose from reduction of the number of hands in cotton-mills. Green Hill, Ernocroft House, Bank House, and Apethorne House are chief residences. Cotton manufacture, calico-printing, and hat-making are largely carried on. W. Low is an eminence commanding very fine views. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150. Patrons, Five Trustees. The church is in Compstall, and was built in 1841. A chapel of ease, a Church school, and a Unitarian chapel are at Gee-Cross; and a New Connexion Methodist chapel, an athenæum, and a national school are at Compstall.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Stockport
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Macclesfield
- Poor Law Union: Stockport
- Hundred: Macclesfield
- Province: York