Weaverham is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Gorstage, Cuddington, Crowton, Acton, Weaverham Lordship, Wallerscote, Wallerscoat, Sandiway, Onston, and Milton.
Alternative names: Weaverham cum Milton
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1576
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1579
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Association.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WEAVERHAM, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Northwich district, Cheshire. The village stands near the river Weaver, 1 mile E by S of Acton r. station, and 3¼ W by N of Northwich; and has a post-office under Northwich, and fairs on 8 April and 8 Oct. The township includes a small part of Whitegate parish, contains Milton hamlet, and comprises 3,528 acres. Real property, £8,774. Pop., 1,530. Houses, 337. The parish includes 5 other township; and, with the Whitegate part of W. township, comprises 7,634 acres. Pop., 2,782. Houses, 596. The property is subdivided. Four manors belong to A. H. S. Barry, Esq.; and Acton manor, with Gorstage Hall, belongs to R. Ashton, Esq. Sandway Bank is the seat of J. B. Littledale, Esq. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £340. The church was restored in 1855. There are five Methodist chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £55 a year, a national school, and charities £60.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Northwich
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Northwich
- Hundred: Eddisbury
- Province: York