Waverton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Hatton near Tarporley, Huxley, and Hatton.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1582
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1599
Nonconformists include: Calvinistic Methodist, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WAVERTON, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies on the Chester and Crewe railway, and on the Chester and Ellesmere canal, 4 miles SE of Chester; and has a post-office under Chester, and a r. station. Acres, 1,145. Real property, £2,424. Pop., 337. Houses, 63. The parish contains also Huxley and Hatton townships, and comprises 4,027 acres. Pop., 736. Houses, 136. W. Manor belongs to the Marquis of Westminster; and Hatton manor, to Lord Henry Cholmondeley. Lower Huxley Hall was a seat of the Clives, and is now a farmhouse. There are cement-works, a steam flour-mill, a coal wharf, and a quarry. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £110. The church is later English and good. There are two dissenting chapels, two national schools, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Chester
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Broxton
- Province: York