Upton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1743 from Upton by Chester chapelry in Chester St Mary on the Hill Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Mollington Banastre, Moston, and Little Mollington.
Alternative names: Upton near Chester, Upton by Chester
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1853
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UPTON, a township-chapelry in St. Mary-on-the-Hill parish, Cheshire; 2 miles N of Chester r. station. Post town, Chester. Acres, 1,106. Real property, £3,312. Pop. in 1851, 555; in 1861, 758, of whom 375 were in the county lunatic asylum. Houses, 74. The property is divided chiefly among three. The county lunatic asylum was built at a cost of £14,000, and has capacity for 500 patients. The living is annexed to St. Mary-on-the-Hill. The church is recent, and has a tower and spire. There is a national school.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: undefined
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Macclesfield
- Hundred: Broxton
- Province: York