Upton by Birkenhead is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Alternative names: Over Church, Upton near Birkenhead, Overchurch
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1755
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1600
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
UPTON, a village and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The village stands 4 miles W of Birkenhead r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Birkenhead. The parish is sometimes called Over-church, and comprises 929 acres. Real property, £2,871. Pop., 293. Houses, 57. The manor belongs to W. Inman, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £60. Patron, W. Inman, Esq. The church is plain. There are a national school, a reading room, and a convent.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wirral
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Wirral
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York