Tranmere is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1842 from chapelry in Nether Bebington Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Tranmore
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1831
- Bishop’s Transcripts: None
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, Protestant Dissenters, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TRANMERE, a township and two chapelries in Bebington parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the Mersey, and on the Birkenhead and Chester railway, around Rock-Ferry r. station, from 2 to 3 miles S of Birkenhead; and has post-offices of Higher T. and Lower T. under Birkenhead. Acres, 1,559; of which 385 are water. Real property, £37,060. Pop. in 1851, 6,519; in 1861, 9,918. Houses, 1,659. All the area is within Birkenhead borough; and much of it is edificed suburbanly to Birkenhead. T. Pool, a creek of the Mersey, separates it from Birkenhead proper; a bridge over the pool connects the suburb with the town, or Tranmere ferry with Birkenhead ferry; and steamers incessantly maintain communication with Liverpool. T. Hall is an ancient edifice, commanding a fine view of the Mersey; and T. Old Hall is now a farmhouse. Ship-building and iron-founding are carried on. The chapelries are St. Catherine and St. Paul; and were constituted in 1842 and 1856. The livings are p. curacies in the diocese of Chester. Value of St. C., £300; of St. P., £200. Patron of St. C., the Rector of Bebington; of St. P., J. Orred, Esq. St. C.’s church was built in 1831; St. P. ‘s, in 1856. A Scotch church, with a neat spire, is in New Chester-road. A Wesleyan chapel, octagonaland in the modern Gothic style, was built in 1862; and there are four other Methodist chapels, an Independent chapel, a mission-house, a Roman Catholic chapel, two national schools, and charities £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Wirral
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Wirral
- Poor Law Union: Wirral
- Hundred: Wirral
- Province: York