Tilston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cheshire.
Other places in the parish include: Horton, Horton by Malpas, Stretton, Grafton, and Carden.
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1558
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1585
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
TILSTON, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies 3 miles NW of Malpas, and 7 SSW of Tattenhall r. station. Acres, 758. Real property, £1,572. Pop., 382. Houses, 89. The parish contains 4 other townships, and comprises 3,644 acres. Post town, Malpas, under Whitchurch. Pop., 817. Houses, 176. Three manors, with Carden Hall, belong to J. H. Leche, Esq.; Horton manor, to the Rev. J. Y. Dod; and Grafton, to Lord Stanley of Alderley. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester Value, £336. Patron, alternately the Marquis of Cholmondeley and T. T. Drake, Esq. The church is good. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school with £6 a year, and charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Great Boughton
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 - Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 - Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 - Chester
- Rural Deanery: Malpas
- Poor Law Union: Great Boughton
- Hundred: Broxton
- Province: York